Thursday, October 7, 2010

Sharp turn ahead

Most of the time transitions with kids seem to happen so slowly they are hard to notice. No hard shifting (like me looking for reverse in my Jeep.) It just kind of happens. You have a baby who becomes a toddler. Then a toddler who is a preschooler. A preschooler who becomes a school kid and then so on…riding on the bus, losing teeth, making friends. All of it just kinds of happens. You thinking potty training will be a big deal, but it’s not. Same with going from a bottle to a sippy cup. That’s what it was…until now.

Although it won’t be official for another few weeks I feel like I am now parenting a teenager. Conversation while going over the Hathaway bridge last night…
Jeremy: Would it be okay of I just said one cuss word a day?
Me: Jay, why would you say that?
Jeremy: Everyone at my school cusses, but me.
Me: Oh, hmm. Well, do you have a certain word in particular you want to use?
Jeremy: Yeah, all of them.
Well, we had a good conversation about cussing and fitting in and at the end he decided he was okay without adopting a new colorful vocabulary. But these little talks happen daily now. My game plan is to stay calm and have a poker face so he will still keep asking/telling me things.

Thanks to some advice from a couple friends I have also rethought how we are handle teenage attitude. I think the new plan will make the next few years a bit more bearable.

Picture is 100% unrelated...just want to share a picture of T-bone, our new pup.

No comments: